Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Race for Sue

On October 11th, 2008 I will be competing in the Ironman Hawaii World Championship on the big island of Hawaii. I am racing with a special purpose this year, in memory of my friend Sue Robinson, a fellow Ironman athlete and age-group competitor who died from ovarian cancer almost exactly 2 years ago at the young age of 39. While she was still alive, along with my good friend Lydia Schlosser, we raced at Ironman Hawaii in her honor, raising $10,000 for the Nat'l Ovarian Cancer Coalition. Now I will be racing in memory of the amazing woman she was. Donations raised will be supporting the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, will all funds directed toward ovarian cancer research and education. I wanted to choose an institution that is active and successful with clinical cancer research and education and I found that in the MSKCC. The picture to the right is one of Sue who is running next to her daughter, Katie, who on a whim, decided to run a marathon to raise funds for ovarian cancer when she discovered her mom was sick. Her longest run prior to that marathon was 6 miles.
I would love for everyone to view a short video of part of a talk given by Sue at a local triathlon in September '05 that I think everyone should hear, along with the message she would like to share..."live every day as if your life is a gift." There is also an interview of Lydia Schlosser that gives you some further insight into the kind of woman Sue was. Please watch it...it's about 4 minutes long and worth the time. Go to YouTube.com and type in my name in the search box (Diana Hassel) and it will come up. I have yet to begin my fundraising efforts, as it's been a crazy last few months at work, but I'll be hitting it hard in the next few weeks to hopefully far exceed my fundraising goal of $5000. If you would like to support a great cause, and have another nice tax deduction when you file next April, please consider visiting my Janus Charity Challenge donation page:
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorreg/donorpledge.asp?ievent=263050&supID=87443991
Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

You are such an incredible person! Hope your donations pour in and your race goes well... for Sue...

Diana Hassel said...

Thank you Bree! You are very kind. Best of luck to you in Kona and hope we get a chance to meet!