Thursday, April 26, 2007

Carbo Load!!

Today was fun because I could justify eating carbs, as it's a carbo load day! Last night was the 4th and final night of my awesome sports nutrition class with Dr. Deborah Shulman. We talked about carbo loading in preparation for bike races as well as race day fueling. I have a longish road race (67 miler) this Saturday with my team and it's one of my favorite races on the Colorado bike racing calendar. I learned how carbo loading should take place 2, 3, and 4 days prior to race day and not the day before...useful info I thought! As this is only a 3 hour race with probably 1-2 hrs of really hard riding, 1 day of carbo loading should do the trick. I just love implementing the nutrition info I'm learning into my training and racing. It will be fun to test it out on Saturday! Unfortunately I was too wiped out last night to get in my scheduled bike workout before bedtime, so woke at 4:15am to get it done. I think I did a great glycogen depletion session this am on the trainer, but really had a tough time maintaining wattage during my 15 minute LT intervals. I aborted the 3rd one after 10 minutes, figuring today should be a rest day anyway.

Got some great news today! Inside Tri liked my application for their age-group triathlon team and selected me to race for them this season, along with 29 other picks! I'm psyched to represent Inside Triathlon, and my buddy Laura Sophiea was also selected. Fun times!

Busy day at work today! I spent a while assisting one of our soon-to-be-graduating seniors flush a carpal joint on a wild Holstein heifer and suturing up a nasty wound right over the joint. Prior to that, tried to resucitate a dying mule foal and afterwards had a challenging colic case that ended up having a ruptured stomach. A sad day overall, but kept me hopping. Here's a picture of one of my patients, Pete:
He's had a rough go...first I resected part of his colon 6 weeks ago, and now he's back with a horrible colitis. So far he's hanging in there...

No comments: